Now that I have this safe and new and amazing life, my awareness has grown beyond day-to-day basic survival.
I see and read stories that inspire or confuse or bewilder or distress me in a way that has always drawn my attention, but for which I could spare no energy.

It is not that I am disconnected to the world.
One of the ways that I survived is by seeking outside interests and volunteering as much as possible, within the constraints of that old life.

I feel a need to comment on these renewed connections, although they are not essential to my continuing health, recovery and just plain general forward movement in my life.

Or, perhaps they are.

So, anyway, CoolCat suggested a new blog.
He is rarely wrong, so here goes...something.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

creativity

One of the parts of my life that was left behind is making art.  I had to leave my loom and easel and all sorts of stuff behind.  I actually have more than I thought, as someone packed boxes and boxes of art supplies and craft materials and put them in storage.

I have them now and am trying to go through everything.  Maybe someday I will feel organized or juiced up enough to dabble, but I am not holding my breath.

Eight years ago, when I researched and then chose aggressive surgery for a neurological vision disorder, one of the possible results could have been blindness.  Frankly, the disorder was so disabling that even losing my sight was, at least at that time, preferable to not doing anything.  I am not sure exactly how I would make that decision today, but my best guess is that I would do the same thing, just sooner.

Back then, my daughter found a newspaper article about a man with very limited vision who still painted.  He had been doing so for most of his life and had developed techniques that allowed him to continue in pretty much the same style, once his sight began to fail.  He kept painting and grew in his abilities as his sight decreased.  It was so inspiring, as it informed me that if you really want to do something, you will find a way.

Cool.  I wanted to have a life, am doing that, and it is my hope that I will be inspired to start making stuff again, once I can actually find anything.

I have to think about this now because I just found an article on-line.  It gave me a little thrill.  Even when I could not make any art in that other life, I could quietly sit at my computer and use the Paint program that came with my computer to make art.  Electronic, ephemeral, wonky, but it is still art and I still do it a bit.  I remember when I created the logo for my studio, and I was so proud that I did it, pixel by pixel.  Still am.

This man is so wonderful, as is his family and he is old, like me, although I am a bit over a heartbeat younger.

Yahoo!
Legally blind artist, 97, paints in pixels
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/legally-blind-artist-97-paints-pixels-224842640.html


No comments:

Post a Comment