Now that I have this safe and new and amazing life, my awareness has grown beyond day-to-day basic survival.
I see and read stories that inspire or confuse or bewilder or distress me in a way that has always drawn my attention, but for which I could spare no energy.

It is not that I am disconnected to the world.
One of the ways that I survived is by seeking outside interests and volunteering as much as possible, within the constraints of that old life.

I feel a need to comment on these renewed connections, although they are not essential to my continuing health, recovery and just plain general forward movement in my life.

Or, perhaps they are.

So, anyway, CoolCat suggested a new blog.
He is rarely wrong, so here goes...something.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

animals

I suppose it is my background that helps me sort of categorize all living creatures on the planet as animals, which includes humans.

The most recent issue is the condition of abandoned animals in shelters.  Appalling, heartbreaking and of concern to many people.  I began my work, more than thirty years ago, in animal welfare and rescue because I could see the connection between what the children under my care were experiencing, as regards to unhealthy home issues, and the treatment of animals, pets mostly.

I did what I always do, and started researching those aspects.  It has been up & down hill since then.  I am no longer connected with a shelter or other local organization, but I still do what I can in the support of humane treatment for animals.  Humans, too, as that seems to have been the natural progression for me.  I began with human support and here I am.

All creation has been on my mind lately. 
Young people in the wrong place, at the wrong time, having interaction or being confronted by the wrong people.  Our country is caught in the thrall of the most recent incidents.
New reports of increasing food-insecurity, lack of jobs, family problems, homelessness, all on a scale that should bring all Americans to their knees in shame.
Billionaires predicting the fall of our economic system and divesting their investments in ways that the average citizen, presuming that any of them actually have investments, cannot.

I seems overwhelming, well, because I guess that it is overwhelming.

I do not have any solutions.  I do not know any of the answers.  Hell, I do not even know all of the questions.  I do not know what questions to ask for myself.

I have been thinking and meditating on all of this.  Yesterday's helping of one of the support group members just sat me back on my ass.  I have so many more resources than most of the people I know, and still not enough to do anything significant or important.

All I can do is get up every day and do my best.
Go to my volunteer gigs.
Attend groups and therapy and continue to offer what I have to whomever needs what I have.
Stop obsessing over what I cannot do.
Keep trying to find a job.
Keep trying to hand on to the car.

Just keep doing my work.
Everything has led me here and taking advantage of all of my resources and advantages is part of that.  Sharing and caring and loving when I can.

It has to be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment